The Spotlight

Pennies for Patients Raises Money and Awareness for Childhood Cancer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Many “Olympic” teams competed in different activities during the school-wide pep rally.

Kennah Salvo

Kennah Salvo

Kennah Salvo

Kennah Salvo

This year the annual Pennies for Patients fundraiser raised over $8,000 ($8,684.64 to be exact) for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society (LLS), an organization dedicated to combating childhood cancer. This large figure does not get raised without a great amount of work behind the scenes.

“It all starts with generating excitement surrounding [the pep rally] in the student body,” Pennies for Patients adviser Mr. Jason Donnelly said.

Following this, the student officers, juniors Jessica Beltz, Kate Miller, Krishna Annambholta, and Nicole Cesanek, and senior Dean Pellegrino, met with Mr. Donnelly and co-adviser Mrs. Mandi Mowrey to brainstorm ideas for activities for the rally.

“They have to be activities that will be exciting to the student body so that they will want to participate in them,” said Mr. Donnelly.

The activities were brought to building administration for approval to insure that they would be safe and appropriate.

This year’s activities at the pep rally included a hockey shoot-out, human shot-put (one student pushed their partner on a scooter into the target zone), a dodgeball game, and a jump rope contest. The winners of each contest were awarded medals to congratulate them.

Throughout this process, Mr. Donnelly was in contact with Southern Lehigh’s liaison at the LLS, Hannah Reagan, through email and in person, in order to coordinate fundraising activities.

From a fundraising standpoint, it all starts with setting the goal. This year, the goal was $14,000, and although the goal was not met, it was a way for everyone to get motivated about the fundraiser.

“Once we have a goal, I make a spreadsheet with all the teams. Each team has an accountant and every two weeks, this year every week, they come down with the money they’ve raised and I put it into a spreadsheet,” said guidance secretary Mrs. Mowrey.

Mrs. Mowrey does a lot of the organizational work for the fundraising as well taking notes for brainstorming sessions with students and meeting with administration.

The students, teachers, and administrators who make this fundraiser happen are to be commended for their hard work and dedication to a great cause.

About the Contributor
Kennah Salvo, News Editor

Junior Kennah Salvo is a second-year staff reporter and the news editor for the Spotlight. She is a member of the feminist student union and the Southern...

• Pennies for Patients Raises Money and Awareness for Childhood Cancer

News

Portfolio Students Display Their Paintings in Art Exhibit

News

National School Walkout Rallies Southern Lehigh Students Against Gun Violence

News

Changes to Recycling Protocol Coming to Southern Lehigh

News

Program of Studies Updated for 2019-20

• News

Mix It Up Day Breaks Down Cliques

• News

Healthy Living Expo Educates Students of the Lehigh Valley

News

Southern Lehigh School District Adopts New Active Shooter Response System

News

Student Advisory Committee Gives Students a Voice

News

Longtime Principal Leaves Southern Lehigh High School

News

The Coffee House Brews Up Excitement

The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School