The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Southern Lehigh’s Annual Coffee House is up and running

Southern+Lehighs+Coffee+House+will+be+an+evening+filled+with+coffee+and+entertainment.+
Art & Literary Club
Southern Lehigh’s Coffee House will be an evening filled with coffee and entertainment.

Southern Lehigh’s annual Coffee House is an event held by the Art and Literary Club where staff and students unite to showcase their talents to their peers and colleagues. The event is carefully planned and organized by the club weeks in advance to create a supportive and comfortable atmosphere for all participants.

There are many contributors behind the scenes to make this event a success, stretching from principals to teachers to students. Still, the club’s co-president, senior Nicole Zweifel, is one of the most significant contributors. Nicole works very closely with the staff to ensure positive feedback on the event.

“As a president of the club, I helped Mrs. Howsare organize and get decorations for the event,” Zweifel said. “I also helped her advertise around the school to get other people involved.”

Compared to last year, some details have been modified. Last year had a great turnout and was very successful, so no significant changes seemed imperative this year, though some minor ones have been made, such as the change in theme, and the club’s advisor. 

“Last year’s theme was ‘Into the Jungle,’ and this year’s theme is ‘A Starry Night,’ based on the famous painting by Vincent Van Gogh,” Zweifel said. “Also, Mrs. Howasre is our advisor this year, but Mrs. Ciotti will still be attending.”

Last year’s club advisor was English teacher Mrs. Sheryl Ciotti. After Mrs. Ciotti transferred to the middle school, English teacher Mrs. Howsare took over the role and all the responsibilities that come with it. 

“This is the first year that I am the faculty advisor to the Art & Literary Club and the club is hosting the Coffee House,” Mrs. Howsare said. “But in another sense, this isn’t my first year because I have attended and helped out with the Coffee House for years.”

Despite the minor changes, the Art and Literary Club expects the same results as in previous years. They’re still striving for the same goal: to create a judgment-free space where performers feel comfortable and safe to show off the hard work and talents they are proud of. 

“I’m excited to just see students’ talents,”’ assistant principal Mrs. Melissa Petronio said. “We’re in a school and I see what you’re doing in the classroom, but I really like to see who you are as an individual. I really like to see your talents and gifts outside of the classroom.”

The benefits of the Coffee House go beyond watching people step out of their comfort zones to perform. The Mini-THON club will sell snacks and drinks, and all profits will go towards the funds they are raising for this year’s Mini-THON. 

The Art & Lit Club’s Coffee House will be held on Thursday, March 21, at 6:30 p.m. in the high school cafeteria. Come out to display your talents or to support your peers, as well as Mini-THON.

About the Contributor
Cameron Tyrell
Cameron Tyrell, Staff Reporter
Freshman Cameron Tyrell is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight. This year she plans to be involved with Mini Thon, Key Club, Sassy Massey, Varsity Club, and Yearbook. Cameron is also a member of the volleyball team and a dedicated dancer. Her interest for sports goes beyond her extracurriculars as she is considering pursuing a career in sports medicine. When Cameron is not busy with her packed schedule, she makes time to read and play music. Cameron enjoys mystery novels and her favorite is Seven Dirty Secrets. She can also play both the guitar and the piano.