The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

‘The Addams Family’ is a deathly hilarious musical

The+cast+of+The+Addams+Family+performs+one+of+their+numbers+on+stage.+
Brooke Mundy
The cast of “The Addams Family” performs one of their numbers on stage.

Death. Darkness. Laughter? Those were the themes of Southern Lehigh High School’s 2024 spring theater production, “The Addams Family.” The 2010 musical was revamped and performed by the Southern Lehigh cast from March 13-17. The community responded immediately and successfully sold out two of the shows.  

Whether it is the 1964 television series, the 1991 movie, or the newly released animated version, almost everyone in the audience is accustomed to the gruesome and hilarious etiquette of the Addams Family. Under new management director, Ms. Lisa Foley, the cast members were able to convey the musical’s humor and musical numbers more than effectively. 

The smooth lighting gave a spooky look to the show, which immediately captivated the audience, while the opening number “When You’re An Addam” gave them a first look at the Addams Family. The cast was well chosen, and the number showed their vast vocal ranges. Their hard work was obvious, and the full show was well run and well received by all. 

An immediate standout was sophomore Patrick D’Amico. He took over the lead role of Gomez Addams and was able to maintain a steady Castillian accent, even when singing. Other lead roles included Morticia Addams, played by junior Scarlett Kashmer, and Wednesday Addams, played by junior Jenna Sheasholtz. They showed their talent in their thoughtful performances, especially when their voices nailed the high notes.

However, the Addams were not the only family. The contrasting Beineke family was all sunshine. When Wednesday Addams and Lucas Beineke, played by freshman Noah Schafer, fall in love, the families are brought together. Alice Beineke, played by senior Tori Davis, and Mal Beineke, played by junior Robert Morgan, are perfect opposites of Morticia and Gomez and lead to an interesting and comical story during the musical. 

A popular scene was the dinner sequence, showing off the numbers “Full Disclosure” and “Waiting.” “Full Disclosure” was dark and witty, while “Waiting” featured Tori Davis using her impressive voice to leave the audience stunned with her amazingly performed solo. After “Waiting” came Gomez’s iconic line: “That’s too dark even for us!” 

The rest of the cast did their jobs perfectly, the ensemble helping aid the visible appearance of the show and providing the much needed backbone of voice to each number. A crowd favorite was junior Mason Voght, a popular local singer and songwriter, who shaved his head for the role of Fester Addams. His comical yet well delivered solo showed the relationship between him and the moon, leaving the audience hooting.

The choreography was well rehearsed and exceedingly in sync, despite the majority of the cast having no formal dance lessons. It showcased the iconic and beloved signature snap of the Addams Family. 

The cast considers themselves a family, due to the many years most spend in the theater program and long hours of rehearsals during the school year. Sophomore Carter Searfoss, who played The Ringmaster in the musical, found the bonding in rehearsals the best part of the theater experience.

“My favorite part was just seeing my friends in rehearsals and building a great show for the community,” Searfoss said.

In the end, the show patched holes in both the Addams and Beneike families and made things exactly as they should be, leaving both clashing sides satisfied. This light hearted, but moving musical showcases the true hard work and dedication of its actors and crew and leaves the community a part of the oddball musical, “The Addams Family.”

About the Contributor
Avi Shah
Avi Shah, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Avi Shah is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight. Avi is a member of MiniTHON, Student Council, Fashion Club, FBLA, Angel 34, as well as varsity tennis and swim. Outside of being very involved with the school, Avi enjoys playing golf and generally spending time with friends. In the future, Avi plans to attend college in pursuit of a career in medicine.