The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Mr. Hanebury begins as a technology teacher at SLHS

Mr.+Hanebury+is+brought+on-board+at+SLHS+to+teach+technology+classes.+
Finola Hieter
Mr. Hanebury is brought on-board at SLHS to teach technology classes.

The start of any school year brings change, and this year Southern Lehigh High School welcomes several new staff members including Mr. William Hanebury, teaching technology education in room 137. He is excited about starting a new district and getting to know his students. 

“Typically, [I teach] ninth through tenth graders as an intro for what we have to offer in the Tech Education Department of the building,” Mr. Hanebury said. “We focus on hands-on skills, and labs in the woodwork shop for architecture class.”

Mr. Hanebury graduated in 2002 from Penn West California where he studied Technology Education. He graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Science and Technology and has been teaching for twenty years. 

He chose to pursue this career after being inspired by his teachers growing up. Mr. Hanebury admired the way one of his favorite teachers made himself emotionally available for his students both in and out of the classroom. He wishes for the same relationship with his own students.

“There were a few influences in my life, like my friend who was my teacher for many years. I talked to him while growing up about teaching” Mr. Hanebury said, “He was my tech teacher when I was in high school, and now that I teach what he teaches, it is like full circle.” 

After teaching in shorter periods at his old school, Mr. Hanebury is still adjusting to the longer periods in the SLHS block schedule. He is happy the schedule allows more time for hands-on activities because he has time to tackle confusing topics through different forms of instruction. He is also glad the schedule gives students more time to understand the topic and ask questions. 

Mr. Hanebury is most excited to connect with younger students, and he is glad there is a designated Foundations of Technology Class that all freshmen take at Southern Lehigh. 

“Over the last twenty years, I started teaching ninth grade, and then only taught tenth through twelfth grade afterwards,” Mr. Hanebury said. “I enjoy teaching the ninth graders a lot because I haven’t taught them in a long time.” 

Mr. Hanebury enjoys being in nature so much that he runs his own business outdoors and holds a general contractors license. He also enjoys fishing, and used to run charter boats in the summertime. 

Upon starting at Southern Lehigh, he feels privileged to learn more about the school. 

“This opportunity gives me a new lease on teaching,” Mr. Hanebury said. “You get used to routines, and switching school districts gives me the opportunity to start over fresh and dig into a new community and be involved.”

About the Contributor
Finola Hieter
Finola Hieter, Staff Reporter
Junior Finola Hieter is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight. Finola is the social media officer of Fashion Club and participates in Mini-Thon and NHS. In her free time, she enjoys ballet and listening to music, particularly Frank Ocean. In the future, Finola plans on attending college to study journalism.