The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

“The Addams Family” showcases theater talent

Scarlett Kashmer
The cast of the high school’s spring musical “The Addams Family” builds character both on and off stage.

This March, Southern Lehigh High School’s theater department will perform their spring musical, “The Addams Family.” A comedy with music and lyrics by Andrew Lippa, the show dives into new themes for the cast, and many are excited for the opportunity.

Junior Jenna Seasholtz, who plays Wednesday Addams, appreciates the chance to branch out into a new and different role.

“I enjoy getting to explore the dark humor,” Seashotlz said. “This show is something that none of us have done before, and the characters are very different from our normal selves … it’s a whole new experience and challenge.”

The musical follows the Addams family as they tackle change, creating and redefining relationships to achieve their ideals for love and family. It centers on Wednesday and her boyfriend Lucas, who hope to end up together despite their differences and those of their families. As a result, the families themselves must get to know each other and address their own internal issues. Hidden secrets and anxieties come to light as each character determines what love means to them, all communicated through humor and song.

These themes require many of the student actors and actresses to explore new skills. Junior Scarlett Kashmer, who portrays Morticia Addams in the musical, feels that the challenge has brought growth.

“A lot of the show features people in relationships, so it takes effort to find the chemistry and work together,” she said.

This collaboration to prepare the show has encouraged friendships offstage as well. Kashmer feels that the experience has connected her with castmates and classmates who she wouldn’t typically see throughout the day.

“I think I’ve grown personally and as an actress,” Kashmer said. “It’s a great way to spend time with new people.”

In addition to building relationships, the students have also challenged their acting skills through building new personas. The musical features characters with diverse accents and inflections, which are difficult for the cast to learn, much less carry on through song, according to Seasholtz.

All these factors have grown the students, and many feel that the skills earned during show preparations will follow them throughout life. Kashmer claims that performing for the public builds character, and Seasholtz agrees that acting teaches life lessons.

“You build stamina and skills in theater, and you learn very good time management because it’s such a commitment,” Seasholtz said.

The musical will be performed at 7 p.m. each night from March 13-16, and at 2 p.m. on Sunday March 17th. Tickets can be purchased online or at the door, and are fifteen dollars per adult with a discounted rate of ten dollars for students or senior citizens.

About the Contributor
Alexis Behrens
Alexis Behrens, Assistant Editor-in-Chief and Our World Editor
Junior Alexis Behrens is a third year staff reporter and the new Assistant Editor-in-Chief. In addition to serving as a Spartan Ambassador and a member of NHS, she is also involved in Teen Counseling, Student Council, and Athletes Against Hunger. Outside of school, Alexis enjoys traveling, reading, and paddle boarding. After high school, she aspires to attend Georgetown University and study international relations.