The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

SLHS holds Winter Clothing Drive

The+SLHS+Winter+Clothing+Drive+brings+holiday+cheer.+
Madalyn Psaila
The SLHS Winter Clothing Drive brings holiday cheer.

With the arrival of colder weather and the giving season in December, the Fashion Club at Southern Lehigh High School is conducting their annual winter clothing drive, allowing students throughout the school to donate their clothes, and promote the use of second-hand clothing items.

Senior Madalyn Psaila is the president of the Fashion Club, and this will be her third year involved in the clothing drive. In the past, she has helped with setting up bins, making flyers, and donating clothes to the cause. 

She is thrilled to lead the drive this year and collect as much winter clothing as possible for those in need.

“We’ve given out donations to the Purple Heart Foundation and One Warm Coat Foundation in the past years,” Psaila said. 

Fashion Club advisor, Mrs. Jennifer Wlodek, is excited to keep the winter tradition going and is determined to get kids around the high school to donate as much as possible, including various coats, hats, gloves, and more. 

“Over the last two years, it has been very successful!” Mrs. Wlodek said. “The drive has donated many bags of coats for many ages and sizes to many people.”

Not only is this an excellent tradition for kids around the school to donate their clothes, but it also brings awareness to how clothing drives positively impact the environment. Giving away your clothes to people in need prevents clothing from ending up in landfills and producing toxic gases in the air. 

“We live in a [fast fashion] society,” Mrs. Wlodek said. “[The winter clothing drive] can reduce waste and help others stay warm – it’s a win-win.”  

Psaila adds on to the idea of clothes going to waste and the drive promoting a better use of items for everyone. 

“They allow people to reuse clothes that are in good condition and otherwise would have contributed to pollution,” she said. “It also prevents people from supporting fast fashion brands.”

All clothes will be collected in bins scattered around the school starting in early December, and there are informative flyers created by the Fashion Club posted around the school. Psaila plans to take responsibility for all winter clothing items. 

“All donations will be going to the One Warm Coat Foundation, an amazing nonprofit organization that reaches all 50 states in its efforts to help the less fortunate in staying warm,” Psaila said.

The club will primarily promote the drive on social media, and members will take it into their own hands to spread the word.

“It’s a good way to help the community!” Mrs. Wlodek said.

About the Contributor
Finola Hieter
Finola Hieter, Staff Reporter
Junior Finola Hieter is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight. Finola is the social media officer of Fashion Club and participates in Mini-Thon and NHS. In her free time, she enjoys ballet and listening to music, particularly Frank Ocean. In the future, Finola plans on attending college to study journalism.