The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Change in ELA curriculum occurs at Southern Lehigh

McGraw Hill Education
StudySync will soon be implemented into Southern Lehigh’s 7-11th grade ELA classes.

The Southern Lehigh High School Board has recently approved a planned update to the district’s English Language Arts (ELA) curriculum for the middle school and high school. An updated English curriculum could mean a lot to the way our school functions as a whole. 

One of the key features of the updated curriculum, called StudySync, is its focus on a more systematic approach to teaching. Currently, a lot of responsibility is left to our teaching staff to determine how the classes are structured and curriculum is delivered. 

“The curriculum will be more structured and will aim to handle all of PA state’s standards,” high school English teacher Mr. Jeff Hershey says.

This is where StudySync enters the picture. Units are aligned with state standards for ELA, but they are also customizable and flexible for both students and teachers, which makes it possible for both to adapt. A broad selection of works and resources are available to educate the students and help the teachers teach.

The addition of StudySync will also create more organization. Using one universal platform across all classes helps bring more unification to the entire education process.

There are a lot of different instructional approaches teachers can take when using StudySync. This is good, as it allows the material to be taught in the way that best fits individual students. However, this also means it may take a while to adapt.

As of now, the actual implementation of this new curriculum is still ongoing. In the near future, Southern Lehigh plans to meet with local partners and get our teachers connected for collaboration and training. 

“Ideally, the full transition will take place by Fall 2024.” Mr. Hershey says.

A primary challenge with this new change is incorporating StudySync successfully and efficiently into our school. We know it has many valuable features, but putting them to the proper use is the most important aspect.

StudySync opens up a lot of opportunities for Southern Lehigh. Teachers moving forward in all grade levels must decide the different pathways taken. However, it will be implemented in a way that makes the learning experience easiest from both the perspective of the student and the teacher.

These changes to Southern Lehigh’s ELA curriculum mark a move in a new direction for the school to make the learning experience better for the students.

About the Contributor
Tommy Morris
Tommy Morris, Staff Reporter
Senior Tommy Morris is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight and has contributed five articles to the newspaper. He enjoys being creative and is thankful for the outlet writing gives him to express himself and learn more about the school.  “I joined the Spotlight because I have always had an interest in writing and creativity,” Morris said. “Journalism truly is a great way to express ideas and spread those ideas to ensure a society that communicates and is up-to-date with what is going on in the world and what people in the world are thinking about.” Morris is an active student in the Southern Lehigh High School community. In addition to being a member of the Spotlight staff, Morris is also a member of the boys’ soccer team, Fashion Club, and Student Council. He is also very passionate about playing soccer and wants to continue playing on club teams. “I’ll probably attend Temple University, but I am currently undecided with what major I'll choose,” Morris said. “I do know that I want to continue playing soccer with my friends and for a team because soccer has always been a big part of my life.”  During his senior year, Morris started to look back on his high school experience and reflect on the memories he has made. He has enjoyed high school due to the friendships he has made and all the moments of joy he has shared with them.  “I’d have to say that my favorite high school moments all revolve around meeting my best friends that I will probably have for the rest of my life,” Morris said. “I’ve loved the soccer season, thrifting clothes with friends, playing SPUD with my fellow journalists, going to fun school events and, overall, just sharing a bunch of laughs with my boys.”  Morris feels that he had a good outlook on high school throughout the last four years and went through high school with a positive attitude that helped him maintain a mindset with limited stress. This outlook is still a part of his character as he is looking forward to the rest of his school career.  “I always say take it easy and love life,” Morris said. “I feel like my life is still building up to my big moment, and I am ready to accomplish my goals and continue to have fun.”