The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Student parking policy leaves new drivers in a tight spot

Avi Shah
Students with later birthdays must anxiously wait for open parking spaces.

Getting a driver’s license is one of the most anticipated moments in any teenager’s life. The suspense built from taking the Drivers’ Education course, plus six long months with a driving permit makes teens long for their licenses. Licenses also allow students a sense of freedom by enabling them to travel anywhere they want. Being able to drive to school also gives students and parents a sense of relief. However, at Southern Lehigh, this is not always the case. 

Students whose birthdays are in spring or even early summer, like myself, are subject to get their license early in junior year. Although they can apply for leftover spots, they are in limited supply. Thus, young drivers are often left waiting out the school year without a parking spot.

In my opinion, forcing students who would get their license after the application deadline to wait until the next school year to apply is an unfavorable situation. Getting a parking spot may not seem like a big deal, but to a student who has waited for their license, it is. A spot makes all the difference when it comes to being able to go to the gym after school, or even to go and study with friends.  

“My birthday is in May, and I got my license in November,” junior Charlie Petri said. “I applied for a spot but haven’t gotten it yet. I want to be able to use my license and drive to school, not [be] held back because my birthday is later than others.”

Some newer drivers were able to get spots when former assistant principal Mr. Chad Kinslow was in charge of parking permits. For example, some students who got their licenses in October received spots in the farthest section from the school. It varies, but, as of late, high school administrators have halted issuing new parking permits. 

The school has other solutions, including the carpool system where you can share a parking spot with a friend and carpool for less cost. However, I feel there are better ways to incorporate later birthdays. There was hope that the situation would be improved with the recent arrival of Southern Lehigh’s new assistant principal, Mrs. Melissa Petronio. However, the thought of things changing anytime soon seems unlikely. 

“I plan on understanding the parking situation,” Mrs. Petronio said, “but [there will be] no changes off the bat.” 

Until she is better acquainted with our school, changes will not be happening. However, that does not mean suggestions cannot be offered. For example, later birthdays could be accommodated by making parking passes a half-year arrangement for less of a cost. This allows students whose birthdays are later in the year to get their passes for at least the second half of the year. 

Making new spots could be an option. Fundraising like car washes or a car show, run and participated in by students, could make it possible to raise enough money to expand lots. Students are more than willing to walk farther in exchange for a pass.

“My birthday is in August, so half of the year with a license I couldn’t drive to school,” sophomore Zara Huaman said. “I’d walk a mile for a spot.”

Students with later birthdays are interested and want to be a part of the solution for the spot situation. Although it may take time, adding more parking options will greatly benefit students and the current parking situation is a problem that is not going away anytime soon.

About the Contributor
Avi Shah
Avi Shah, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Avi Shah is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight. Avi is a member of MiniTHON, Student Council, Fashion Club, FBLA, Angel 34, as well as varsity tennis and swim. Outside of being very involved with the school, Avi enjoys playing golf and generally spending time with friends. In the future, Avi plans to attend college in pursuit of a career in medicine.