The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Field Hockey team shoots for states

Avi Shah
Sophomore Cassidy Clautznitzer battles defender for the ball.

The Southern Lehigh girls’ field hockey team has stayed confident in their championship battle and they plan to carry that mentality throughout their season. Currently, they have an overall record of 15-2, and a league record of 15–0. They have qualified for the Colonial League playoffs, but have their sights set on winning the PIAA District XI championship and qualifying for the state championship.

“The most important part is showing up to practice and working hard,” senior captain Sara Tesche said.

This year, the team lost four key graduates from last season, but gained many freshmen who are confident and prepared to replace their predecessors. The captains are very big on team bonding and work hard to make the freshmen feel at home. 

“We did lose some seniors who played a big role, but everyone has been stepping up, especially the freshman and sophomores,” sophomore Cassidy Clautznitzer said.

As they continue to work hard together, their confidence grows. Sharing goals and ambitions helps the team focus and put their effort towards something with everyone giving full commitment.

“We’ve changed lineups, formations, we’ve changed it all, based on what we see that needs to be fixed for the team to be performing its best,” said Coach Adriene Searfoss.   

The captains are big on work ethic, and believe that putting in time and effort are most important. After losing in the district championship last year, and with the pressure of winning their third league championship in a row, they must maintain their vision and stay focused.

“We have an excellent lineup, and we think we can make it past districts,” senior captain Macey Reese said. “We have more of a family feel and trust each other more which will help us more than anything.”

The whole team is working hard, and with that hard work and effort comes confidence.. The captains want everyone to be confident with their abilities, and it helps them practice and play the best they can.

“We can definitely go farther this year just based on the teams in districts, and our hard work and team bonding,” said Clautztnizer.

About the Contributor
Avi Shah
Avi Shah, Staff Reporter
Sophomore Avi Shah is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight. Avi is a member of MiniTHON, Student Council, Fashion Club, FBLA, Angel 34, as well as varsity tennis and swim. Outside of being very involved with the school, Avi enjoys playing golf and generally spending time with friends. In the future, Avi plans to attend college in pursuit of a career in medicine.