The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Girls’ basketball seeks to rebuild in the coming season

Reese+MacIntosh+makes+a+breakaway+in+a+game+against+Catasauqua.+
Ella Bausher
Reese MacIntosh makes a breakaway in a game against Catasauqua.

The Southern Lehigh girls’ basketball team has had its ups and downs throughout the years, but the 2023-2024 team members are eager for a more successful season this winter.

The team is in building mode after a disappointing 7-15 record in their 2022-2023 season, and losing many players. The members of the new roster are focused on building relationships and developing as a team. Their main goal, they say, is to have a more exciting season this year. 

“This group of girls is very strong and close,” says Coach Sydney Slone. “I believe in them and that they will accomplish everything they set their mind to.”

These girls are happy to return to the court and be together again as a team. Freshman Naphtali Smith says she is “most excited to get food after games.”

As the season opener is pretty close, the players are dedicated and enthusiastic to see what this season has to bring. They have been working to improve on the court and as a team. 

“It’ll be hard in the beginning, learning to play with new people,” says senior Reese MacIntosh., “but most of the girls are already pretty close on the team, so I think we’ll be able to pull through that.”

The team is again pining for that opportunity, after not making it to districts since the 2020-2021 season.

The girl’s basketball team may be small, but they are strong. With excitement blooming, hunger, and a longing for wins this season, the Lady Spartans hope to thrive.

“As long as we keep our communication up and lock down on defense,” says junior Taylor McDonald, “we could have a high chance at a successful season.”

About the Contributor
Vivienne Speranza
Vivienne Speranza, Staff Reporter
Freshman Vivienne Speranza is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight. She participates in volleyball and also plans on joining a few clubs this year including FSA, Angel 34, and Mini-Thon. Outside of school, Vivienne enjoys reading young adult fiction novels and cooking a variety of foods. In the future, she plans on attending college, possibly majoring in psychology or journalism.