The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

International Football Association Board plans to introduce blue cards to soccer

Blue+cards+will+act+as+a+middle+ground+between+the+existing+yellow+and+red+cards.+
Kirill Venediktov, CC BY-SA 3.0 GFDL, via Wikimedia Commons
Blue cards will act as a middle ground between the existing yellow and red cards.

Due to the ever-growing behavior problem surrounding the worldwide soccer scene, the International Football Association Board (IFAB) has revealed plans that could introduce a new disciplinary measure: the blue card. This addition, if approved, would join the existing yellow and red cards, adding a new element to the sport.

Announced in November 2023, the blue card aims to penalize players for dissent and cynical fouls. Since 1970, a yellow card has acted as a warning, and a red card has signified a complete suspension from the game. Unlike its counterparts, a blue card would suspend a player from the field of play for just 10 minutes. This new addition to the game would serve as a punishment in between the existing yellow and red cards.

The decision to introduce blue cards comes during an era of the sport with a noticeable increase in on-field altercations. The aim is that, by implementing this new disciplinary system, players will be more reluctant to commit these poor behavioral decisions. Theoretically, this allows for a better flowing, more respectful, and more sportsmanlike environment on the pitch.

Lower leagues already implement “sin-bins,” which are similar ideas. Players are sent to an area off the field for several minutes after showing unsportsmanlike behavior. Yellow cards are used in a similar way at the high school level. When shown a yellow card during a Colonial League match, the player must step off the pitch for five minutes.

Sin-bins, along with blue cards now, will slowly make their way up in competitive levels of the sport. Trials are being held to show how they could be implemented into the game over time. Opinions on these implementations are mixed as of now.

IFAB’s full plans are expected to be unveiled soon, with the success of their trials likely influencing the broader adoption of blue cards in the sport. The ultimate goal is to fully introduce this to the highest competitive level by 2025.

The implementation of the blue card could be especially impactful if it spreads to the high school level. We’ve seen how yellow cards are already being used in a similar way, meaning that another temporary suspension could be redundant.

It’s not known how widespread this change will actually become, but it seems as though the board fully believe in it. A drastic change to such an age-old game such as this will often come with speculation, however. 

While the blue card concept seems excellent initially, it could have many downsides. Critics argue that introducing another card could complicate the game further. Officiating has always been a controversial topic, but it seems that there is more media coverage in today’s world than ever.

Referees are still humans making decisions, meaning mistakes are bound to happen. Introducing more subjective calls to the sport creates even more room for error. Calls like these open up more opportunities for referees to wrongfully change the game’s outcome. This could be negative for fans, managers, players, and referees themselves.

“I think this would break up the play too much,” senior soccer player Sidney Rosenberg said. “I don’t think this is an addition that we need currently. Instead, we need to be addressing and fixing the officiating problems that already exist.”

Many fans share Rosenberg’s concern. With advancing technology and automation within the sport, it seems problems with refereeing could be almost completely eliminated by now. This is far from the truth, however, with leagues often having to admit apologies regarding poor decisions.

As soccer continues to evolve, so do the laws of the game. The proposed introduction of the blue card is yet another significant attempt to refine the sport as a whole. Whether or not this new change is one that sticks is a question that only time can tell.

About the Contributor
Tommy Morris
Tommy Morris, Staff Reporter
Senior Tommy Morris is a first-year staff reporter for the Spotlight and has contributed five articles to the newspaper. He enjoys being creative and is thankful for the outlet writing gives him to express himself and learn more about the school.  “I joined the Spotlight because I have always had an interest in writing and creativity,” Morris said. “Journalism truly is a great way to express ideas and spread those ideas to ensure a society that communicates and is up-to-date with what is going on in the world and what people in the world are thinking about.” Morris is an active student in the Southern Lehigh High School community. In addition to being a member of the Spotlight staff, Morris is also a member of the boys’ soccer team, Fashion Club, and Student Council. He is also very passionate about playing soccer and wants to continue playing on club teams. “I’ll probably attend Temple University, but I am currently undecided with what major I'll choose,” Morris said. “I do know that I want to continue playing soccer with my friends and for a team because soccer has always been a big part of my life.”  During his senior year, Morris started to look back on his high school experience and reflect on the memories he has made. He has enjoyed high school due to the friendships he has made and all the moments of joy he has shared with them.  “I’d have to say that my favorite high school moments all revolve around meeting my best friends that I will probably have for the rest of my life,” Morris said. “I’ve loved the soccer season, thrifting clothes with friends, playing SPUD with my fellow journalists, going to fun school events and, overall, just sharing a bunch of laughs with my boys.”  Morris feels that he had a good outlook on high school throughout the last four years and went through high school with a positive attitude that helped him maintain a mindset with limited stress. This outlook is still a part of his character as he is looking forward to the rest of his school career.  “I always say take it easy and love life,” Morris said. “I feel like my life is still building up to my big moment, and I am ready to accomplish my goals and continue to have fun.”