The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Emotional support teacher Mr. Sanguinito joins Southern Lehigh

Mr.+Sanguinito+is+eager+to+help+out+SLHS+students.+
Tessa Di Cesare
Mr. Sanguinito is eager to help out SLHS students.

Working alongside Mr. Anthony Italiani, Southern Lehigh has recently welcomed a new emotional support teacher, Mr. Greg Sanguinito. 

If Mr. Sanguinito’s constant sports rivalry with Mr. Italiani on which NFL flag should be hung up in their shared classroom is any indication, it is clear that Mr. S. feels he is already fitting right in with his fellow teacher, as well as the environment of Southern Lehigh. 

Although Mr. Sanguinito is excited about his new position, he did not always want to be a teacher. Originally, he studied sports management, and went on to explore his major at the local Bethlehem Township Community Center. Nine years later, Mr. S. returned to school to pursue his true passion: teaching. 

“I always wanted to pursue a career in which I could help people,” says Mr. Sanguinito. “I knew deep down that I wanted to be an educator.” 

At age 31, Mr. S. returned to school at Lehigh University in Bethlehem Pennsylvania, where he completed his degree in education. 

“It was a scary thing at the time going back to school,” he says. “Intimidating.” 

Although Mr. Sanguinito is new to teaching in Southern Lehigh, he is no stranger to the area and community. Mr. S. attended high school at the nearby private school Notre Dame where he actively participated in several of the school’s sports teams. 

“I always thought fondly of Southern Lehigh, and enjoyed coming to SL for football and wrestling,” Mr. S says. “Center Valley is a great place and a great community.” 

Mr. Sanguinito feels right at home at Southern Lehigh, as he is able to return to an extremely familiar and lovable place full of family, friends, and past memories. He said he is excited to watch the athletic events, especially the showdowns between Southern Lehigh and his alma mater, Notre Dame.  

Mr. S can always be found carrying around one of his favorite possessions, his water bottle covered in stickers of his favorite bands and artists, including his best-loved band, “Taking Back Sunday.” Along with music, Mr. Sanguinito has a strong love for football, especially his favorite NFL team, the 49ers. At home, he enjoys spending his free time with his wife and their Jack Russel Chihuahua mix, Jake. He wants students to know his door is always open, especially if you want to chat with him about live concerts and music. 

For the rest of the school year, Mr. S. has set several goals for himself as a new part of the teaching staff. 

[I hope to] create long lasting relationships with the staff, students, and parents,” he said, “ and to] help the students become the most successful versions of themselves.”

About the Contributor
Tessa Di Cesare
Tessa Di Cesare, Staff Reporter
Junior Tessa Di Cesare is a first year staff reporter. She is a member of the National Honors Society, Student Council, Mini Thon, and Athletes Against Hunger. She is also a Teen Counselor and a Spartan Ambassador. Tessa is a captain of the Cross Country team and participates in Winter and Spring Track and Field. Her favorite movie The Alpinist and her favorite TV show is Gilmore Girls. After high school, Tessa wants to pursue law school.