The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Exploring the linkage between lead and the Stanley water bottles

The+Stanley+Cup+can+be+found+in+a+colorful+array+throughout+many+stores.+
Tessa Di Cesare
The Stanley Cup can be found in a colorful array throughout many stores.

After spending years obsessing over the “VSCO worthy” Hydro Flask, water bottle connoisseurs have since moved on to the newest and hottest accessory of 2024: the Stanley Cup. As if the Hydro Flask couldn’t be topped, the level of recognition Stanley has received over the past few months has certainly set a new craze. From suburban moms to Southern Lehigh High School students, you are almost guaranteed to catch a glimpse of this water bottle dangling in someone’s hand. 

“Almost everybody I know has a Stanley water bottle,” junior Brooke Davies said. “The brand has blown up, and shows up everywhere I go.” 

While Stanley as a company has been around for almost 110 years, their popularity skyrocketed when the favorable “40-ounce Quencher H2.0” was released. To an outsider, this product succeeds in filling every water bottle owner’s dreams, keeping hot drinks warm for up to seven hours and cold drinks chilled for up to eleven hours. On top of this, the Stanley Quencher has a smaller base to fit in a cup holder, a handle for easy carrying, and the ability to switch out the top to accommodate the preference of wide mouth or straw lids. 

Not to mention, the reusable aspect of the Stanley water bottle mitigates the alarming global issue of pollution. World Cultures and U.S. History teacher Mr. David Krial agrees that they could help address plastic waste. 

“I definitely favor Stanleys, as the number of discarded water bottles that I see along the side of the road and in our waterways is quite disturbing.” Mr. Krial said.

However, despite the seemingly “perfect” conception of this water bottle, Stanley has recently been accused of incorporating the harmful metal lead into the construction of the cup.

Recently, consumers took it upon themselves to self-test the bottle for any health hazards. It wasn’t until they raised concerns about the potential of lead in the cup that Stanley’s popularity finally reached a hurdle along their path of success.

“After hearing about the lead outbreak in the Stanley bottles, my views have for sure changed,” Davies said.

Countless lovers of the brand have raised their concerns as well.

Unlike other past brand scandals, Stanley poses a high risk to its customers. This naturally occurring metal can distribute itself into the human body’s major organs upon exposure. After only a low level of exposure, side effects including poisoning, nerve disorders, fertility issues, and many more may arise. And if that’s not frightening enough, a high level of lead exposure can be potentially fatal to a consumer. 

Now you may ask, where in such a colorful, cute, and picturesque cup is this deadly metal stored? After receiving thousands of questions and concerns, a Stanley spokesperson released the full description regarding how lead is incorporated into their product. 

According to Stanley, the water bottle is manufactured to be “double-walled insulated,” ensuring maximum retention of the water’s desired temperature. When observing the bottom of the water bottle, there is an indented stainless steel circle, the “pellet,” which works to seal the two layers together. There the lead comes into the picture, as this process is referenced as “lead soldering.” 

Throughout the initial manufacturing of the product, this lead incorporation may have seemed like no big deal. However, upon testing the water bottle, it is found that this stainless steel barrier has a possibility of coming loose when significant drops and damages to the bottle occur.

After weeks of providing reassurance on the safety of the product, it remains undetermined whether Stanley’s initial popularity will return back to its original state.  

“If there is a risk of lead leaching into the water from Stanleys, the company should without a doubt redesign their product,” Mr. Krial said.

Despite the drastic turnaround on the enthusiasm over the Stanley Cup, the company has yet to announce an improved product, rather solely responding with an offer for a lifetime warranty. As Stanley only offers a lifetime warranty in the occurrence of a lead leakage, it seems as though the chance for a safer, healthier, and more reliable redesign is highly unlikely in Stanley’s future. So for now, Stanley users are restricted to handling their water bottles with care, in the fair chance of damaging the pellet and risking exposure to the harmful lead.

About the Contributor
Tessa Di Cesare
Tessa Di Cesare, Staff Reporter
Junior Tessa Di Cesare is a first year staff reporter. She is a member of the National Honors Society, Student Council, Mini Thon, and Athletes Against Hunger. She is also a Teen Counselor and a Spartan Ambassador. Tessa is a captain of the Cross Country team and participates in Winter and Spring Track and Field. Her favorite movie The Alpinist and her favorite TV show is Gilmore Girls. After high school, Tessa wants to pursue law school.