The Spotlight

AP Government Students Serve As Senators for a Day

AP Government students partake in Senator for the Day Seminar at Muhlenberg College.

Madison Wolfe

Madison Wolfe

Ben Baca, Staff Reporter

On November 17, 2017, eight AP Government and Politics students and social studies teacher Mr. Tom Beaupre attended Senator for a Day at Muhlenberg College, hosted by Pennsylvania State Senator Pat Browne. From 8:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., seniors Allie Jameson, Michael Grabusky, Melissa Stough, Jillian Werbisky, Samantha Talecki, Sarah Trebicka, and junior Dyani Hernandez, were given the opportunity to get a hands-on experience of government functions and public policy issues.

“It’s a great opportunity for the students to see how the legislative process works,” Mr. Beaupre said. “Even if it’s not exactly the way it is, it’s still very exciting.”

The session opened with a general discussion on how the legislative process works. Then, all students who attended the seminar were divided into four Senate committees (communications, education, judiciary, and transportation) with two bill topics per committee to be discussed and drafted for the full “Senate” to consider.

In the afternoon, all student senators then convened in a general session to debate and vote on the legislation drafted by each committee.

“I felt very important. It made me almost made me feel like, ‘Ooh, look at that cool girl,’” senior Jillian Werbisky said, “but it was also very stressful and like a high-pressure situation when you bring up something. No one would agree with you because the people were not shy to shoot you down and say their opinion.”

Afterward, the students seem to have felt a positive impact on their Senator for a Day experience.

“I was able to get people to express their feelings and run the committee effectively,” senior Michael Grabusky, who served as a committee chairman, said. “I liked being able to fairly and effectively distribute and regulate speaking power. I also liked being able to facilitate debate.”

• AP Government Students Serve As Senators for a Day

News

Longtime Principal Leaves Southern Lehigh High School

News

The Coffee House Brews Up Excitement

News

Cultural Fair Proves Enlightening for Students

News

Southern Lehigh Takes New Safety and Security Precautions

News

Class of 2019 Preps for Prom

News

Students and Staff Adjust to New Southern Lehigh District Website

News

Don’t Wait to Donate: NHS Kicks Off the Annual Pennies for Patients Drive in February

• News

SADD Students Organize Annual Healthy Living Expo

News

Faculty Members Use ‘No Shave November’ to Raise Money to Help Our Neighbors in Need

News

Student Poets Participate in DeSales Festival

The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School