The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

The Spotlight

Solehi Seniors to Head to the Polls for the First Time

Theresa Thompson
New voters will have their voices heard for the first time this Election Day.

Tuesday, November 6th will mark a rite-of-passage for a handful of Southern Lehigh High School students.  These newly-minted 18-year-olds have the privilege of voting in the 2012 presidential election.

Studies show that if young people (18-29) utilize their right to vote, they will be more likely to vote as adults. Forty-six million young people are eligible to vote in this year’s presidential election. That may not seem like much, but that makes up 24% of the electorate vote.

Government officials and others have been trying very hard to persuade Americans to head out to the polls. Maybe the key to their success is reaching the youth of today.

Senior Adam Russek turned 18 on September 2nd, just in time for the November election.  “I am going to vote,” Russek said. “However, I’m not that excited to vote because both of the major candidates are terrible.”

Many young people are kept away from the polls every four years because they feel like they do not know the candidates. This year, both presidential campaigns have set a goal of getting a record number of young people to cast their ballots. They are modernizing the campaign by utilizing social media more than ever before in order to connect with their younger followers.

While young voters have countless sources to gain political knowledge, most young voters are influenced by their parents’ political views in one way or another.

“My parents do have a very big effect in my political views, especially when dealing with fiscal issues,” senior Olivia Muth senior said. “We do have our differences when it comes to certain social issues.”

Southern Lehigh 18-year-olds have their own opinions of the 2012 election, and for the first time they will have the opportunity to voice them at the polls.

About the Contributor
Lauren Gross
Lauren Gross, News Editor

Lauren Gross has been a member of the Spotlight for four years, where she has been a staff reporter, features editor, news editor and managing editor. During high school, Lauren has been a part of varsity and competition cheer leading, WSOL morning announcements,  Teen Counseling, and Varsity Club.

In her spare time, Lauren enjoys baking, cooking, crafting, and picking flowers from the garden — a typical Southern belle.  She also collects aprons, has over 180 hair bows, and says her favorite color is sparkly pink.

Lauren plans to attend the University of Alabama to major in public relations.

In the future Lauren sees herself living in a plantation home outside of Atlanta, Georgia. She would love to work in PR or a sales department for a large corporation. But once she gets married, she plans on having three kids and becoming a stay-at-home mom.