The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School

The Spotlight

The Power of Two Leads Spartan Track to the Top

Quinn Schmidt, Staff Reporter

The Yanega sisters have been competing with each other since they were born. Seniors Allyson and Sarah are each other’s biggest rivals, whether the competition is on the track or in the classroom. They are constantly searching for ways to push each other to the limit, academically and athletically. But in seventh grade, the pair realized they had something special on the track, and the dynamic duo has been terrorizing opposing Colonial League teams ever since.

“I would say we push each other to do better sports-wise and academically because we know we need to keep the grades up and times down to get to where we want to go,” Sarah said.

Once high school rolled around, the twins began to push themselves to a new level. As a sophomore, Allyson was able to qualify for the state championship meet in the 1600-meter race. Junior year brought in more accomplishments, with Sarah earning runner-up honors in the 800-meter contest in the Colonial League, and Allyson becoming the Colonial League champion in the 1600-meter race. The pair has led the girls track team to back-to-back undefeated seasons, and two Colonial League championships.

“My favorite part about competing with my sister would be the friendly competition,” Allyson said, “We always want to beat each other, but we are happy with how we both do.”

Ironically enough, the pair joined forces with another set of twins to form a phenomenal 4×800 meter relay team. Paired with Alissa and Brianna VandeBunte, the foursome has accomplished remarkable feats. Over the winter, they qualified for states in indoor track. The spring 4×400 meter team, consisting of the Yanega twins, Brianna VandeBunte, and Megan McGill, was able to set a personal record at the Penn Relays, finishing the race in four minutes and eight seconds.

In their senior year and beyond, the Yanegas have big things planned. Both are hoping to qualify for states after being crowned the District XI champions in their individual events as well as on their relay teams. They have also elected to attend Dickinson College to continue their academic and athletic careers. But at the end of the day, it could be the connection the twins share that will give them the advantage over their competition.

• The Power of Two Leads Spartan Track to the Top

News

AP Biology Students Compete in Biology Olympics

Features

Emerging Health Graduates Reflect on Program

Our World

Where Are They Now? Above the Mendoza

Our World

Lehigh Valley Residents Raise Awareness for Local Sex Trafficking

News

Southern Lehigh High School Initiates Policies and Procedures to Address Intolerance and Acceptance in the District

Showcase

Spartan Baseball Engineers a Winning Formula

Our World

Should the U.S. Naturalization Test Be a Graduation Requirement?

• Arts & Entertainment

Solehi’s ‘Sister Act’ Delights Audience with Comedic Genius

Showcase

Boys Basketball and the Infamous Playoff Push

News

“Sister Act” Springs Into Action