The Spotlight

From Mummies to Murals

Back to Article
Back to Article

From Mummies to Murals

Students encountered a statue of the mythical

Students encountered a statue of the mythical "qilin" which is a hybrid said to be descended from a lion and a dragon.

Talia Trackim

Talia Trackim

Talia Trackim

Allison Borelli, Features Editor

On November 4, SL students in AP World, Gifted Seminar, and Arabic classes attended a day long field trip to the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archeology and Anthropology, or UPENN museum.

“The objective was to allow the students to have some interaction with or some information about different cultures throughout the world that we may not be exposed to here at Southern Lehigh,” AP World teacher Mr. Lee Zeisloft said.

Upon arrival, students were able to have about forty-five minutes to roam the museum and explore the exhibits themselves. At 11:00, the students split into two groups to go onto a guided tour through the Egyptian exhibit.

“We want to increase the knowledge and show the beautiful artifacts,”  University of Pennsylvania museum tour guide Robert Burger said. “I hope that people appreciate how old these things are.”

The hour long tour provided in-depth information on Egypt. Students were also able to see artifacts ranging from mummies to models of brain removal hooks.

“My favorite part was seeing Alex Curtis be grossed out by the brain removal from the dead bodies of Egyptians before they were exposed to the mummy process to preserve their bodies,” Mr. Zeisloft said.

Mrs. Hanan Gawdet, a past SL Arabic teacher, inspired Superintendent Mrs. Leah Christman to organize this trip. A grant was even given to allow Mrs. Gawdet to return to SLHS in order to catch up with past students, teach classes on Egyptian culture, and also attend the UPENN trip.

“I thought it was fun, interesting if nothing else. It was definitely better than school,” freshman Jacob Chenmitz said.

Some of the dislikes of the field trip was the guided tour, the lack of time, and the lengthy transportation. Students enjoyed, of course, the food trucks they ate at for lunch, as well as the opportunity to learn away from the typical school atmosphere.

“[The field trip] was certainly very educational,” junior Grace Bothelo said, ”I feel like I understand more about the stuff we were learning in AP world.”

About the Contributors
Allison Borelli, Features Editor

Allison Borelli graduates as a four-year Spotlight staff member. She has been a student reporter all four years, and features editor for two.

Outside...

Talia Trackim, Editor-in-Chief

Throughout her four years at Southern Lehigh High School, Talia Trackim has surely established herself as the girl who does it all. She joined the Spotlight...

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Southern Lehigh School District Adopts New Active Shooter Response System

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Student Advisory Committee Gives Students a Voice

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Longtime Principal Leaves Southern Lehigh High School

• From Mummies to Murals

News

The Coffee House Brews Up Excitement

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Cultural Fair Proves Enlightening for Students

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Southern Lehigh Takes New Safety and Security Precautions

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Class of 2019 Preps for Prom

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Students and Staff Adjust to New Southern Lehigh District Website

• From Mummies to Murals

News

Don’t Wait to Donate: NHS Kicks Off the Annual Pennies for Patients Drive in February

• News

SADD Students Organize Annual Healthy Living Expo

The student news site of Southern Lehigh High School
From Mummies to Murals